Financial Support

Money is always an issue for people even without a baby to save and plan for, and babies aren’t exactly cheap. There’s the cot to buy, clothes, furniture, prams and other little things that all add up.

Depending on your financial situation, there could be something that you’re entitled to in order to support yourself and your new family member (when he/she arrives).

For Students:

Childcare Grant

Studying full-time at university can increase costs when it comes to childcare, so this grant is given in weekly payments to help that covers up to 85% of your childcare costs!

Depending on how many children you have, you can get up to £155 (for one child) or £266 (for two or more children) a week, based on the cost of your childcare and your household income.

To get Childcare Grant you must:

  • Be a full-time student
  • Have a child under 15, or under 17 if they have special educational needs
  • Have (or be eligible for) a student finance package
  • Have a childcare provider who is registered with Ofsted

Just follow the steps on the GOV website on how to apply for the Childcare Grant.

Parents Learning Allowance

If you’re studying while you have a child, you could be entitled up to £1,500 depending on your household income.

You could get this if you’re:

  • A student from England with dependent children
  • Studying a full-time undergraduate course or Initial Teacher Training course

All you have to do is apply via Student Finance and they’ll work out if/what you’re entitled to.

Further Benefits:

Child Benefit

Most people are entitled to child benefit as it’s a regular payment from the government to help with the cost of raising a child under 16. The payments per week are £20.70 for the eldest/only child and £13.70 for each additional child.

You can download a form to claim Child Benefit (CH2) on the GOV.UK website.

Child Tax Credit

If you’re low on income the government can give you an annual payment to help with the cost of raising a child under 16, depending on your circumstances which include:

  • Your income
  • How many children live with you
  • Whether your child has a disability

You can see how much you could get using GOV.UK’s tax credit calculator, or call the Tax credit helpline for a claim form.

Sure Start Maternity Grant

This grant is a £500 one-off payment that helps with the cost of your baby and can be claimed up to 11 weeks before the baby’s due date and 3 months after. You can claim if you or your partner receive one of the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s or Employment and Support Allowance
  • Universal Credit
  • Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit at a higher rate
  • Working Tax Credit (includes a disability element)

Just print off a Sure Start Maternity Grant (SF100) form and send it via the Freepost address on the last page.

For more information, visit the Money Advice Service to see if you’re entitled to anything else!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s